About Me

My wife and I camping in Fairmont BC

Hello! My name is Matt Paprskar and I am a future educator from Vernon, British Columbia. I lived there for 29 years, during which I gained experience in various industries such as automotive, pharmaceuticals, janitorial, retail, and food service. My educational journey began at Silver Star Elementary from 1999 to 2007, followed by Vernon Secondary School which I attended from 2008 until 2012. After working at a few different jobs, I realized that none of the work i was doing was truly fulfilling. I decided to pursue some night classes to explore other avenues. I spent a couple of years at Okanagan College in Vernon, where I discovered my passion for learning. Among my favorite courses were those centered around classical epics, including Arthurian legends, Shakespearean works, and Victorian literature. After two years at Okanagan College, I transferred to UBC Okanagan to complete my degree. Unfortunately, my studies were interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic, resulting in an additional year of study. I successfully graduated with a major in English and a minor in Psychology in 2022.

In search of a career that would allow me to apply my newly acquired degree, I decided to teach English online to students in South Korea. It wasn’t a field I had considered all that much before, I was drawn to its flexible hours, which allowed me to work alongside my part-time job at a pharmacy. At the pharmacy, I had contemplated pursuing further education to become a pharmacy technician. However, to my surprise, I found teaching to be delightful. I had the opportunity to work with individuals of all ages, ranging from 8 to 80. The students had a system in place to provide reviews, and I received overwhelmingly positive feedback. Many students specifically requested to be in my class, and I created many meaningful friendships. One day, while teaching, a student asked me, “Why aren’t you teaching in a school?” In response, I explained that I lacked the necessary qualifications. She expressed her disappointment, saying, “Oh, that’s a shame. I think you would make an excellent teacher.” This one compliment changed the course of my life. I thought, why don’t I become a teacher? So, I started working on it. I took a few courses that I would need as prerequisites, and eventually, I ended up at the Thompson Rivers University Bachelor of Education Program.

Besides that, I am happily married to my amazing wife Leanne, who also works in childcare. She has previously worked as an Education Assistant in the classroom, but currently, she is the lead teacher in an infant/toddler daycare room. She is a huge inspiration to me, and I don’t think I would have realized this was a field that I could do well in if it wasn’t for her support and watching her go through her educational journey.