Educational Timeline

Teaching-Inspirations-pdf

This was the first piece of work I made for the teaching program, and I made it while I was camping near Revelstoke with my family. I struggled with it a bit because nothing influenced me to become a teacher that much until later in my life. If I had been asked if I wanted to become a teacher when I was in grade school, I would have laughed. My grades weren’t that great, I had a hard time paying attention, and I didn’t make the connections between what I was learning and how it could be useful to me in my life. It wasn’t until university that I started to discover different ways to learn that would benefit me and then I started to do better in class, and I enjoyed what I was learning and that was a cyclical reinforcement. I loved learning so much that I started to think about a career in education because that was a job where you were constantly learning new things.

While I don’t love my work on this assignment, I think it is a good reminder of where I was when I started the program. I think I still hit on something that I believe even more strongly today, a good teacher should teach using a diverse array of tools so that every student has the opportunity to learn in a way that engages their interests.